Thursday, June 2, 2016

My Body Is NOT A Comparison Chart

I am guilty as charged when it comes to comparing my body to others. The common phrase used is "I am a girl, we all do it!" Most people that I know do it too. It's hard to not look and compare. Logging onto social media and instantly jealousy conquers how we feel about ourselves. When looking at other girls and how perfect their bodies are it's hard not to feel defeated. It becomes a long thought process of how your body will never look like that, or "how and what are they doing to look like that because obviously nothing I do is working!" I started a fitness Instagram with my boyfriend and I love being able to have a feed that allows me only to see fitness posts, but I instantly get insecure when I see how awesome everyone else looks compared to myself. Why do we do this? My body, your body, her body-- we are all different and we cannot compare ourselves to one another. If we continue to do this we will never be happy.

I, this past year, started to post progress pictures. I never used to because I know so many people who immediately judge people who post about their body. "Wow, congrats you look awesome... no one cares." "They are so obnoxious they were never fat to begin with, thanks for making the rest of us feel bad about ourselves." I started to say these phrases along with my friends as I judged those girls. When I finally lost my weight I posted a photo, and now I get why every girl before me did... and I am angry that I judged those girls for loving themselves and feeling confident enough to show their beauty to the world. The honest truth is that my friends and I were jealous. These other girls had what I didn't and I hated them for it. What kind of attitude is that? What kind of person had I become? I now post my body and I am proud of these posts. I worked so hard to get to where I am physically and I am proud to show the world that I accomplished what I set my mind to. Not for others, not for the likes or attention... simply for myself. Now, some people say if you are really proud of your accomplishments then why are you showing it off to the world? You don't need their opinions, if you were really comfortable with your body you wouldn't NEED to post that photo. OK now I have come to hate those people! What's wrong with loving my body and being proud of what I have been able to achieve? Why is it wrong that I allow for friends to support me and even use my post as motivation to say that they can push through difficulties too. It's not the image that matters, its the confidence that is present within the image.  I am not ashamed that I am confident and proud.

It's summertime and I have been seeing non-stop posts of girls looking fabulous in their bikinis.. congrats to you all because you're kicking some serious butt! Ive been falling into that jealousy again. I am working hard to change my thinking/attitude towards it. I look great, my friends look great, that random girl posting looks great. I am me, this is my body, this is how great I can make it look, and this is what my hard work has accomplished. All bodies are different, the sooner we accept that the better! My body is not a comparison chart! My body is my beautiful me. 

Please enjoy this amazing photo of myself and my gorgeous friends. We are all different, we are all working hard to stay motivated and are succeeding at crushing our goals, and we are all beautiful!


No comments:

Post a Comment